Friday, March 21, 2008

Zoe's imaginary friends

red cow
twin plugs stand on collective head
I have been meaning to do this post for a long time.

When Zoe was about 4 weeks old we started 'elimination communication' -- As I've posted before.

She often was a baby in a fog at that time -- at least like most little babies she got upset a lot
But whenever we took her to try potty she would start smiling and chattering in baby babble.

I think it was the fun of seeing herself in the mirror as much as anything else.  In fact that's probably what it really was since she's going through a "potty strike" right now where even if she does have to go she doesn't want to.  This is normal and common from what I've read.

So she gets mad if I try to potty her now sometimes, but if I turn around and show her the other mirror, her mood lightens considerably.

And then she has her friend Elephant Towel Hook to console her.  I noticed one day that she was unusually interested in the towel hook.  I  then noticed it looks a lot like an elephant.  It has  screws painted blue by the last tenants forming the eyes, and a gold hook trunk.  So I had fun with that and drew the rest of the elephant on the wall.  

Now if she's upset, I can go show her the elephant and she'll start cooing and talking to him.

She's made other friends -- most notably Red Cow -- whose picture I shall post.  She's not as enamored of him anymore since Mosha broke him in half.  But besides the mirror, he used to  be the main bathroom attraction.  I was going to make a mini movie of her conversations with Red Cow, but the footage was never right.  I will eventually try to get the sound on it since it was so cute.

She also had a brief friendship with Twin Plugs which I didn't want to encourage, since I don't think they make the best of friends....